I had a very good friend who cooked me this dish one morning for breakfast. It doesn’t happen often but what a way to wake up, to the smell of a cooked breakfast. I’m lucky that she was a talented chef, I was expecting a fried egg but I was surprised with such an amazing and yet easy dish. The beauty of this dish is that she used ingredients that were in the fridge. Apart from a few other bits like chorizo, every thing else was left over ingredients that needed to be used up and it didn’t take long to prepare or cook, literally minutes. Served straight out of the pan it also saved on cleaning time, ingenious because if you can save on cleaning time and come up with an amazing meal, then you’re all right in my books!!
Photo by Jun Pang
Spicy One Pan Fried Eggs
1 tspn Vegetable Oil
2 Chorizo Sausages – outer case peeled off, cut into 1cm cubes
1 Brown Onion – diced 1cm cubes
1 Clove Garlic – finely sliced
1 Birdseye chilli (optional) – finely sliced
1 tspn Smoked Paprika
5 Large Ripe Tomatoes – diced 1cm cubes
¼ Cup Shredded Cheddar
2 Spring Onion Stalk – finely sliced
Cracked Black Pepper
- Heat up an 8 inch frying pan on high for about 1 minute
- Add the vegetable oil followed by the chorizo, onion and garlic. Sautee until fragrant the onions are translucent
- Add the chilli and paprika and sauté for another 30 seconds
- Add the tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring continuously. If the tomatoes start to stick, add a little water to stop it from burning.
- Lower the heat right down then crack all the eggs into the pan, evenly distributing it, making sure you cover all the surface area and the tomatoes
- Sprinkle with cheese
- Cover with a lid and cook on low for about 5 minutes or until the egg whites are firm. Leave the egg yolks a little runny.
- Finish with spring onions to garnish and flavour
- Serve with your favourite bread or with steamed rice
Photo by Jun Pang